How to Apply
There are three ways that you can apply for a Summer Associate position:
- Job fairs. We typically attend the following fairs: Minnesota Minority Recruitment Conference, Lavender Law Job Fair, and the Loyola IP Job Fair;
- On campus interviews. We will interview 2L students for summer 2021 during scheduled campus events at a variety of schools. Locations are to be determined.
- Online application. You can submit an application here. Please include a cover letter and resume, and convert your materials to PDF format before uploading or attaching to an email.
If you are 2L applying online for a position in 2021, you will have the greatest chance of being considered for a screen interview if you submit your materials through our online application system starting December 1, 2020.
In addition to your resume, we will need a copy of your law school transcript and a writing sample (typically between 5-7 pages of your unedited work). We encourage you to give special consideration to a strong cover letter in which you identify why you would like to work at Robins Kaplan.
The Interview Process
Once we receive your application, we typically conduct an initial (or screen) interview before inviting candidates for in-person “call back” interviews. In call back interviews, you will meet with between five and seven attorneys for 30-minute sessions. This will give you an opportunity to learn more about Robins Kaplan and what you can expect as a Summer Associate and Associate and to tell us more about your talents, interests, and goals. We are particularly interested in learning about:
- Your ability to think critically about complex business and legal issues;
- Your leadership skills;
- How you have creatively solved problems and overcome challenges; and
- Your communication skills.
Following the interview, most candidates will hear from us about an offer within two weeks.
Information for 1L's
Several of our offices have summer clerkships for students between the 1st and 2nd years of law school. Each office recruits IL students differently. Check the job postings on our Web site or with the career services office of your law school for job postings.
Applications from 1L’s for summer 2021 will be accepted in the late winter of 2021 but see individual job postings for specific application deadlines.
If you are interested in having us represent you, you should call us so we can determine whether the matter is one for which we are willing or able to accept professional responsibility. We will not make this determination by e-mail communication. The telephone numbers and addresses for our offices are listed on this page. We reserve the right to decline any representation. We may be required to decline representation if it would create a conflict of interest with our other clients.
By accepting these terms, you are confirming that you have read and understood this important notice.