Most babies are born without complications. But sometimes, an emergency happens that threatens your life or the life of your baby. Without proper care, the results can be devastating. Understanding all the facts will help your family determine if you need a birth injury lawyer.
What is a Birth Injury?
Birth injuries can happen in many ways. Sometimes an illness or injury during pregnancy causes a birth injury. But other times, birth injuries occur because of negligence by a doctor, nurse, or other medical professional. Common injuries are brain damage, traumatic brain injury, and developmental delays. Other birth injuries that can be a result of medical malpractice may include:
Did Your Child Suffer a Preventable Birth Injury?
Every doctor and other health care professional must follow certain standards when treating a patient. If standards are not followed and a birth injury occurs, it might be medical negligence or malpractice. Some situations where medical negligence might occur include the failure to:
- Provide the proper prenatal care
- Provide proper support during labor and delivery
- Diagnose and treat an infection in the mother
- Diagnose and treat early labor
- Diagnose a dangerously large baby
- Manage an extended pregnancy
- Respond to bleeding
- Treat placental abruption
- Treat maternal preeclampsia or infections
- Safely manage labor and delivery or a delay in delivery
- Act on fetal heart monitor changes and evidence of fetal distress
- Correctly use a vacuum extractor or forceps during delivery
- Perform a timely cesarean section (C-section) to remove a baby in distress
- Successfully resuscitate and intubate newborn
How We Help Uncover the Truth
Medical errors at hospitals are not always reported and, worse, they sometimes get covered up. At times, our clients have wrongly been told by medical personnel that what happened could not have been prevented. At Robins Kaplan LLP, our birth injury lawyers and medical analysts have years of experience sifting through medical records to uncover the truth. We find out the cause of injuries and whether the actions of the medical team played a part in causing the birth injury.
Why Hire Us?
You may have seen us on T.V. Our lawyers have appeared on CBS News, Good Morning America (ABC), Dateline NBC, and other news programs. Kathleen Flynn Peterson, Terry Wade, Chris Messerly, and Peter Schmit have been consistently named "Super Lawyers" and "Best Lawyers in America." Year after year, we have been recognized for recovering the largest settlements for people who have suffered serious personal injuries or economic harm from medical negligence in Minnesota.
If you or your child suffered a birth injury due to improper care during your pregnancy or at the time of delivery, we can help. Call 1.800.553.9910 to speak to a medical analyst who understands. There is no charge for this call or evaluation. Please call our lawyers who handle birth injuries or contact us.