Actors, Writers, Directors, Producers, Musicians and Athletes
Our attorneys have an extensive background representing many high-profile actors, writers, directors, producers, musicians, athletes, authors, and their heirs in claims regarding:
- Breach of contract
- Profit participation
- Violation of the rights of privacy and publicity defamation
- Breach of implied contracts
- Copyright and trademark infringement
- Disputes with entertainment guilds, including the Screen Actors Guild, the Directors Guild, and the Writers Guild West
- Copyright termination issues
- Violations of the Talent Agencies Act relating to disputes between talent and personal managers
Talent Agents, Personal Managers, and Individual Managers
We represent talent agencies in disputes with members of the Screen Actors Guild, AFTRA, the Directors Guild, the Writers Guild West, and Actor’s Equity. We have been involved in proceedings before the American Arbitration Association and before the California Labor Commissioner.
Motion Picture and Television Production
We represent independent motion picture and television production and distribution company clients involved in:
- Employment disputes
- Contract disputes regarding producing, licensing, financing, and distributing motion pictures and television programming
- Profit participations and other accounting disputes
- Intellectual property disputes, including trademark, copyright, idea submission, Lanham Act, and credit claims
Additionally, we have represented producers and independent film distributors in arbitrations before the Independent Film and Television Alliance, including arbitrations relating to film financing and delivery issues.
Music Video Production
Our attorneys provide representation to commercial and music video production companies and individual commercial and music video directors and producers in matters including unfair competition claims, solicitation of directors and producers by competing companies, and disputes with major record labels regarding payment. We represent several post-production and special-effects companies in employment disputes, solicitation of key personnel by competing companies, contractual disputes, and unfair competition and intellectual property claims.
We represent advertising agencies and marketing companies for the products marketed by these companies and in the commercials they produce in matters involving:
- Advertising Compliance
- Copyright Infringement
- Guild Issues
- Licensing Disputes
- Rights of Publicity
- Trade Dress
- Unfair Competition
Other Intellectual Property Owners
Our attorneys also represent other individuals and businesses that are not technically in the entertainment industry with respect to their intellectual property matters. Representative clients include an energy drink manufacturer, a retail clothing store chain, and an electronic goods manufacturer.