Trial practice focusing on representing individuals, governments and tribal nations harmed by defective products and fraudulent conduct, including:
- Lead Trial Counsel for State of Minnesota in litigation against Juul and Altria for unlawfully targeting young people with their products, 27-CV-19-19888, Fourth Judicial District, State of Minnesota.
- Tribal Leadership Committee In re: National Prescription Opiate Litigation, MDL No. 2804 (E.D. Ohio)
- Member of Law and Briefing Committee In re: National Prescription Opiate Litigation, MDL No. 2804 (E.D. Ohio)
- Court-appointed settlement counsel in Abilify Multi-District Litigation, MDL No. 2734 (N.D.Fl.)
- Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee and Co-Chair of Plaintiffs’ Science and Expert Committee, Benicar Multi-District Litigation, MDL No. 2606 (D.N.J.)
- Member, Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, New Jersey Consolidated Stryker Rejuvenate Hip Stem and ABGII Modular Hip Stem Litigation.
- Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee and Chair of Plaintiffs’ Science and Expert Committee, Chantix Multi-District Litigation, MDL No. 2092 (N.D.Ala.)
- Lead Counsel and Liaison Counsel in Mirapex Multi-District Litigation, MDL No. 1836 (D.Minn.)
- Member, Law and Motions Committee, DePuy ASR Multi-District Litigation.
- Member, Science Committee and Discovery Committee, Vioxx Multi-District Litigation.
Lead trial counsel in the JUUL trial which settled prior to closing arguments for $61.5 million.
Member of plaintiffs’ negotiating committee in Benicar litigation that resulted in a settlement fund of $358 million.
Represented clients in the New Jersey Multi-County Stryker Rejuvenate and ABG II Modular Hip Stem litigation, including two Plaintiffs who resolved their cases through the NJ Court’s bellwether mediation program. Assisted in developing a global settlement program for both the multi-county litigation and the federal multi-district litigation, a program valued at over $1 billion.
Lead counsel in Daubert proceedings in Abilify, Chantix, and Mirapex product liability litigations, successfully defeating defendants’ challenges to plaintiffs’ scientific experts on causation
Lead trial counsel in Charbonneau v. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Pfizer, Inc. Represented plaintiffs in first Mirapex products liability bellwether trial. On July 30, 2008, jury returned a verdict in favor of plaintiffs for $8,279,300, including $7.8 million in punitive damages for failing to warn of risk of compulsive behaviors, including pathological gambling, from the Parkinson’s drug Mirapex.
Lead trial counsel in Zwayer v. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Pfizer, Inc. Represented plaintiffs in second Mirapex bellwether trial. Case was confidentially settled prior to closing argument.
Confidentially settled more than 280 Mirapex cases represented by Robins Kaplan LLP during Fall of 2008.
Lead trial counsel in first two Chantix MDL bellwether trials; confidentially settled prior to trial, leading to settlement of entire MDL.
Trial counsel, State of Minnesota and Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Minnesota v. Philip Morris, et al. In May 1998, the case settled after a four month trial when Tobacco Companies agreed to pay the State and Blue Cross & Blue Shield more than $6.6 billion.
- Public Justice Foundation, a public interest law firm, which pursues high impact lawsuits to combat social and economic injustice, protect the Earth’s sustainability, and challenges predatory corporate conduct and government abuses; Board of Directors (2010-present), Executive Committee (2012-present), Secretary (2013-2014), Treasurer (2014-2015), Vice President (2015-2016), President-Elect (2016-2017), President (2017-2018), Past President (2018)
- Children's Theatre Company; Board of Governors (2011-2018)
- "U.S. Judge Denies Summary Judgment in Crash Caused by Aerosol Huffing," Minnesota Lawyer (September 7, 2023)
- "Top Women in Law Honorees Announced," Minnesota Lawyer (September 6, 2023)
- "Minnesota gets $60.5M in settlement with Juul, Altria," Minnesota Lawyer (May 18, 2023)
- "Juul And Altria To Pay $60.5M In Minn. Youth Vaping Deal," Law360 (May 17, 2023)
- “Minnesota gets $60.5M in settlement with e-cigarette maker Juul, tobacco giant Altria,” Associated Press (May 17, 2023)
- "Litigator of the Week Runners-Up and Shout Outs," Am Law Litigation Daily (May 5, 2023)
- "Will Bankruptcy Judge Bend On Halting Talc Cases Against J&J? Juul Settles AG Cases But SF Trial Looms," ALM Litigation: Editor's Picks (April 19, 2023)
- "Minnesota settles case against Juul over marketing e-cigarettes to teens," Star Tribune (April 17, 2023)
- "Minnesota settles lawsuit with Juul over vape marketing to youth," Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal (April 17, 2023)
- "Juul, Minn. AG Ink Deal After Close Of Trial," Law360 (April 17, 2023)
- "Vaping trial: Ellison says Juul, Altria 'hooked a generation of Minnesota kids on e-cigarettes'," FOX 9 (March 28, 2023)
- "State's trial begins against e-cigarette maker Juul: A 'new generation' addicted to vaping," Star Tribune (March 28, 2023)
- "2022 Attorneys of the Year: National Prescription Opiate Litigation," Minnesota Lawyer (February 16, 2023)
- "From Tobacco to Opioid Litigation, Robins Kaplan Leader Discusses Helping Tribal Nations, Law Firm Leadership," The National Law Journal (August 2, 2022)
- "Robins Kaplan on the Front Lines of $589M National Opioid Settlement on Behalf of Tribal Nations," Attorney at Law Magazine (March 2022)
- "MVP: Robins Kaplan's Tara Sutton," Law360 (December 21, 2017)
- "The Rustlers Whooped the Rangers," Advocate Capital, Inc. (May 8, 2014)
If you are interested in having us represent you, you should call us so we can determine whether the matter is one for which we are willing or able to accept professional responsibility. We will not make this determination by e-mail communication. The telephone numbers and addresses for our offices are listed on this page. We reserve the right to decline any representation. We may be required to decline representation if it would create a conflict of interest with our other clients.
By accepting these terms, you are confirming that you have read and understood this important notice.