- Acumen Powered by Robins Kaplan LLP®
- Affirmative Recovery
- American Indian Law and Policy
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Appellate Advocacy and Guidance
- Business Litigation
- Civil Rights and Police Misconduct
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial/Project Finance and Real Estate
- Corporate Governance and Special Situations
- Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy
- Domestic and International Arbitration
- Health Care Litigation
- Insurance and Catastrophic Loss
- Intellectual Property and Technology Litigation
- Mass Tort Attorneys
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys
- Personal Injury Attorneys
- Telecommunications Litigation and Arbitration
- Wealth Planning, Administration, and Fiduciary Disputes
Acumen Powered by Robins Kaplan LLP®
Ediscovery, Applied Science and Economics, and Litigation Support Solutions
June 6, 2023Super Lawyers Names Five Attorneys to “Southern California Rising Stars” List
June 1, 2023Chambers USA Recognizes Five Robins Kaplan Practice Groups and 17 Lawyers in 2023 Guide
May 2023Robins Kaplan LLP Celebrates 85 Years
June 9, 2023LGBTQ Legal Services: Transgender Name Change Clinic
June 13, 20232023 Probate and Trust Law Section Conference
June 14, 2023Leading Through Uncertainty
May 2023Raoul Shah: Keeping Humanity and Compassion Close
May 18, 2023NFT Trademark Defense Comes Down To Licensing Terms
April 20, 2023Drafting Subsequent Agreements to Avoid Arbitrability Litigation
September 16, 2022Uber Company Systems Compromised by Widespread Cyber Hack
September 15, 2022US Averts Rail Workers Strike With Last-Minute Tentative Deal
September 14, 2022Hotter-Than-Expected August Inflation Prompts Massive Wall Street Selloff
Find additional firm contact information for press inquiries.
Find resources to help navigate legal and business complexities.
Amy M. Churan
In her complex insurance and business litigation practice, Amy Churan deals daily with earth-shattering events – literally. She has extensive experience in litigation stemming from a variety of catastrophic events: building collapses, explosions, pipeline failures, tsunamis, fires and earthquakes to name a few. Ms. Churan also handles a broad spectrum of construction defect litigation, supply chain disruption and business interruption claims.
Representing insurance company clients across the U.S. and abroad, Ms. Churan has a deep understanding of highly complex matters involving property insurance litigation, insurance coverage, and subrogation, as well as stringently-regulated California bad faith claims. Ms. Churan also represents other non-insurance clients in defense of class actions, false advertising and deceptive trade practices matters, breach of contracts actions and product liability defense litigation.
Through her extensive experience, Ms. Churan has developed big-picture strategic vision and strong tactical savvy, complemented by strong investigation skills and meticulous case forensics and management abilities. A “quick study” who often is required to rapidly master the workings of new industries and technologies, Ms. Churan has repeatedly demonstrated the ability to work effectively with experts from diverse technical disciplines. She has earned particularly high praise from her clients for the depth of her knowledge of the insurance industry. She also is known for her sensitivity to her clients’ needs to maintain future relationships with their insureds, as well as her proven ability to keep litigation matters in scope, on time and on budget. From her non-insurance clients she has won high praise for her creativity and critical thinking, strengths that yield original approaches to resolving disputes favorably.
A transplant to Los Angeles from the Midwest, Ms. Churan remains active in professional and community activities. She has been recognized as a “Women of Influence” by the LA Business Journal, named an “Insurance Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal, and listed in The Best Lawyers in America. She is a certified instructor for the state on California Fair Claims Regulations and California Earthquake Certification, and she frequently delivers CLE programs and seminars for insurers and independent claims adjusters. Volunteer work at the Boys & Girls Club of Venice has led to service on its Board of Directors, coaching teens on job seeking skills, and even performing occasional electrical, painting and general clean-up work, a commitment that led to her being awarded a 2014 Community Leader Award.
Represented several foreign and domestic insurance companies in litigation arising from a pipeline rupture and explosion that resulted in sustained business interruption and extra expense losses. The litigation involved the resolution of coverage issues with the insured and a subrogation action against the owner and operator of the pipeline.
Represented major insurance company in multi-million dollar coverage dispute and subsequent litigation arising from construction defects at a large hotel.
- Named to Los Angeles Business Journal’s “Thriving in Their 40’s” List (2022)
- Named to Los Angeles Business Journal’s “Women of Influence - Attorneys” List (2021)
- Named an “Insurance Trailblazer,” National Law Journal (2021)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2020-2023 editions)
- Recipient of the “Community Leader Award,” Boys & Girls Club of Venice (2014)
- Named a "Southern California Rising Star," Super Lawyers (2008, 2010)
- Board of Directors, Boys and Girls Club of Venice
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- Minnesota (Inactive)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Michigan State University, B.A., International Relations, with honors
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- Business Development Styles Finding What Works for You
Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles (WLALA), Los Angeles, California (May 25, 2017)
- Dont Break a LEG Understanding the LEG Defect Exclusions
Lloyd’s Market Association, Masterclass (October 1, 2016)
- Navigating Insurance Bad Faith in the United States: How to Meet Your Customers’ Needs, Sidestep Adjustment Pitfalls, and Avoid Extra-Contractual Exposure
Property Risks & Coverage International Insurance Conference, London, England (June 30, 2016)
- California Wildfires – Sparking the Debate Over Insurance Coverage
Loss Executives Association, Boston, Massachusetts (June 11, 2014)
- LEED Issues in Green Building Insurance Claims
Loss Executive Association Educational Conference, New Port, Rhode Island (June 9, 2010)
- LEED Issues in Green Building Insurance Claims
Property Loss Research Bureau Large Loss Conference, Tampa, Florida (November 2, 2009)
- California Fair Claim Settlement Practices Regulations
In-house training for Insurance Adjusters (October 10, 2008)
If you are interested in having us represent you, you should call us so we can determine whether the matter is one for which we are willing or able to accept professional responsibility. We will not make this determination by e-mail communication. The telephone numbers and addresses for our offices are listed on this page. We reserve the right to decline any representation. We may be required to decline representation if it would create a conflict of interest with our other clients.
By accepting these terms, you are confirming that you have read and understood this important notice.