Stacey Slaughter is a partner at the Firm with 20 years of experience in complex antitrust, commercial, and financial litigation cases. The cases Ms. Slaughter has litigated have recovered more than $1 billion for victims of anticompetitive conduct, fraud, and negligence.
Among her noteworthy cases, she played a key leadership role in Dahl v. Bain Capital Partners, LLC, No. 07-cv-12388 (D. Mass.), representing investors in a class action, antitrust suit against private equity firms for a conspiracy to suppress the buyout price for public companies, which settled for $590.5 million. Ms. Slaughter litigated on behalf of class plaintiffs in In re Payment Card Interchange Fee and Merchant Discount Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1720 (E.D.N.Y.) and currently represents direct action plaintiffs in In re LIBOR-Based Financial Instruments Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 2262 (S.D.N.Y.). She represented an institutional investor in The Federal Home Loan Bank of Pittsburgh v. JP Morgan Chase & Co, et al., No. GD-09-016892 (Allegheny Ct., Penn.), to recover approximately $30 million for toxic, residential mortgage-backed securities.
She also represented three institutional investors in a closely-held company to recover $40 million arising from a stock sale. She recovered millions for a sovereign nation whose financial broker recommended investments in unsuitable, non-traded real estate investment trusts. She served in a court-appointed leadership role in In re Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep, MDL No. 2777 (N.D. Ca.), alleging RICO claims for diesel emissions violations, which recently settled for $546 million in cash and repairs. Ms. Slaughter also serves in a court-appointed leadership role in the In re Equifax, MDL No. 2800 (N.D. Ga.) data breach litigation.
At home in the courtroom, Ms. Slaughter has tried cases in court and arbitration forums around the country. Last year, The National Law Journal recognized Ms. Slaughter as a Litigation Trailblazer. She has earned recognition as a SuperLawyer, and also as Attorney of the Year by Minnesota Lawyer.
Ms. Slaughter runs a pro bono legal clinic for the Jeremiah Program, whose mission is to transform families from poverty to prosperity by supporting single mothers who are earning a college degree and providing early childhood development.
Throughout her career, Ms. Slaughter has litigated numerous cases to trial, arbitration, and resolution. Recent plaintiff representations include the following:
- Represented Federal Home Loan Bank of Pittsburgh in dispute over its purchase of residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented plaintiff investors in a class action suit against private equity firms over alleged conspiracy to suppress prices in large leveraged buyouts. Kirk Dahl, et al. v. Bain Capital Partners, LLC et al., Court Case No. 07-cv-12388 (D. Mass.).
- Represented investors in claim against broker and broker-dealer for theft and failure to supervise.
- Represents plaintiff Fortune 500 company in financial industry over purchase of products tied to LIBOR. In re LIBOR-Based Financial Instruments Antitrust Litig., 11 MD 2262 (NRB).
- Represents plaintiff car dealer class in suit against Fiat Chrysler and Bosch over emissions. In re: Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep EcoDiesel Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation, 3:17-md-02777
- Represents investors in complex tax and accounting malpractice case.
- Represented company in the financial services industry in a patent infringement suit over a method and system for transferring money.
- Jeremiah Program Board of Trustees
- Minnesota Women Lawyers (MWL), Equity Committee
- Robins Kaplan LLP Pro Bono Steering Committee
- "2019 Attorneys of the Year: Stacey Slaughter," Minnesota Lawyer (February 7, 2020)
- “Fiat Chrysler’s Attempt to Dismiss Emissions-Cheating Case Fails,” The Wall Street Journal (March 16, 2018)
- “Chrysler Loses Bid to Dismiss Diesel Emission Cheating Claims,” Bloomberg (March 15, 2018)
- “Case Alleging Fiat Chrysler Cheated on Emissions Test can Proceed,” Detroit Free Press (March 16, 2018)
- “Where 5 Top MDLs Stand at the End of 2017,” Law360 (December 21, 2017)
- “Fiat Chrysler in Hot Seat Vacated by VW,” Courthouse News Service (December 20, 2017)
- “Businesses Begin Filing Class Actions Against Equifax,” The National Law Journal (September 25, 2017)
- “Credit Union Sues Equifax Over Breach-Related Fraud Costs,” BankInfo Security (September 25, 2017)
- “Summit CU Files Lawsuit Against Equifax,” CU Today (September 24, 2017)
- “As Equifax Amassed Ever More Data, Safety Was a Sales Pitch,” The New York Times (September 23, 2017)
- “Equifax Faces First Lawsuit from a Credit Union” Axios (September 23, 2017)
- “After the Breach, Equifax Now Faces the Lawsuits,” The Washington Post (September 22, 2017)
- “Class-Action Sought in Equifax Suit,” Twin Cities Pioneer Press (September 22, 2017)
- “Wisconsin’s Summit Credit Union Files Suit Against Equifax Over Data Breach,” Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (September 22, 2017)
- “Summit Credit Union to Sue Equifax Over Data Breach” Channel3000.com (September 22, 2017)
- “Summit Credit Union Files Class-Action Suit Against Equifax” Credit Union Times (September 22, 2017)
- “Credit Union Suit of Equifax May Be First, Likely Won’t Be Last” American Banker (September 21, 2017)
- “State, SEC Garner $155M in 'Dark Pool' Settlements,” New York Law Journal (February 2, 2016)
- “Lawyers Weigh In On High Court's Class Action Ruling,” Law360 (January 20, 2016)
- “Law Professor: Bill Targeting Class Action Abuse Simply Would Improve Certification Compliance,” Legal Newsline (February 4, 2016)
- “Pro Bono Spotlight: Robins Kaplan LLP,” Bar Talk (December 16, 2015)
- “Meet HCBA Member... Stacey Slaughter,” Hennepin County Bar Association (December 14, 2015)
- “Counsel’s Corner: Examining FHFA and Nomura Strategies in MBS Trial,” DSnews (March 19, 2015)
- “Nomura First to Fight U.S. Toxic Debt Claims at Trial,” Bloomberg (March 13, 2015)
- “Nomura First to Fight U.S. Toxic Debt Claims at Trial,” National Mortgage News (March 13, 2015)
- “The Female Attorneys You Admire,” Law360 (March 6, 2015)
- “The Fraud Case Standard & Poor’s Doesn’t Want You to Know About,” Reuters (November 19, 2014)
- “Blackstone, KKR, TPG Settle Suit Alleging Collusion,” The Deal Pipeline (August 8, 2014)
- “JPMorgan is the Biggest Beneficiary of ‘Dark Pool’ Operators,” New York Post (July 22, 2014)
- “Private Equity Firms Lose Bid to Dodge Collusion Lawsuit,” The AmLaw Litigation Daily (July 18, 2013)
- “Bain, KKR, Other PE Giants Can't Escape Collusion Suit,” Law360 (July 18, 2013)
- “Libor Antitrust Risks Remain Despite Early Settlements,” Law360 (December 20, 2012)
- “Big Suits: In Re Swipe Fee Litigation,” American Lawyer (October 2012)
- “Investors Demand Goldman Execs’ Evals In Bid-Rigging Row,” Law360 (April 18, 2012)
- “Suit alleges fraudulent H&R Block loans,” Minnesota Lawyer (April 9, 2012)
If you are interested in having us represent you, you should call us so we can determine whether the matter is one for which we are willing or able to accept professional responsibility. We will not make this determination by e-mail communication. The telephone numbers and addresses for our offices are listed on this page. We reserve the right to decline any representation. We may be required to decline representation if it would create a conflict of interest with our other clients.
By accepting these terms, you are confirming that you have read and understood this important notice.