- Acumen Powered by Robins Kaplan LLP®
- Affirmative Recovery
- American Indian Law and Policy
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Appellate Advocacy and Guidance
- Business Litigation
- Civil Rights and Police Misconduct
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial/Project Finance and Real Estate
- Corporate Governance and Special Situations
- Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy
- Domestic and International Arbitration
- Health Care Litigation
- Insurance and Catastrophic Loss
- Intellectual Property and Technology Litigation
- Mass Tort Attorneys
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys
- Personal Injury Attorneys
- Telecommunications Litigation and Arbitration
- Wealth Planning, Administration, and Fiduciary Disputes
Acumen Powered by Robins Kaplan LLP®
Ediscovery, Applied Science and Economics, and Litigation Support Solutions
March 28, 2023Robins Kaplan LLP Announces 2023 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellow and Pathfinder
March 22, 2023Benchmark Litigation Names Robins Kaplan 2023 Minnesota Law Firm of the Year
March 16, 2023Second Circuit Affirms Record $5.6 Billion Recovery in Antitrust Case
April 3, 2023Conference of Tribal Lending Commissioners
April 11-13, 2023Mass Torts Made Perfect Seminar
April 19, 2023FBA Women in MDL, Mass and Class Leadership
March 2023Unintended Consequences of Banning Noncompete Agreements
March 26, 2023What I’ll Be Watching for in the Amgen Oral Arguments
March 2023How an Investor Can Lose More Than Just Their Investment
September 16, 2022Uber Company Systems Compromised by Widespread Cyber Hack
September 15, 2022US Averts Rail Workers Strike With Last-Minute Tentative Deal
September 14, 2022Hotter-Than-Expected August Inflation Prompts Massive Wall Street Selloff
Find additional firm contact information for press inquiries.
Find resources to help navigate legal and business complexities.
James R. Safley
Trial and appellate experience in a variety of areas of business litigation, including defense of major class actions, plaintiff and defendant antitrust lawsuits, RICO, trade associations, real estate, lender liability, securities law, healthcare and other complex disputes.
Has tried or settled many cases, including antitrust, throughout the United States over the past 40 years.
Actively represented the casualty and health insurance industry in antitrust and RICO class actions, constitutional challenges and regulatory proceedings.
Representation of trade associations in advocating changes in real estate and licensing laws in Minnesota.Representation of numerous clients in pro bono matters, including Native Americans, and most recently a guardian ad litem obtaining a termination of parental rights in a severe child abuse case.
Law Clerk to the Honorable Miles Lord, U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota (1968-1969)
Past Director: Legal Advice Clinics, Ltd.
Lead counsel representing defendant health insurer in the Tow Distributing class action lawsuit in Minnesota state court. Settled a $400 million claim for $41 million (including $30 million previously approved for distribution by the Minnesota Commerce Department).
Defense counsel who argued motion to dismiss RICO class action lawsuit brought against workers compensation insurers in the Southern District of Florida (Miami Division), which resulted in dismissal of all RICO claims with prejudice.
Lead counsel in the Workers Compensation Refund case in a constitutional law challenge in Minnesota, which led to the recovery of $700 million.
Lead counsel prosecuting casualty insurer’s claim for injunctive relief against Minnesota Commissioner of Commerce to require adherence to bid process.
Defense of numerous insurance companies and corporate clients in antitrust, RICO and other class action litigation in federal and state courts throughout the country.
Defense of Minnesota health insurer in ERISA class action lawsuit.
Representation of a national leasing company in defending RICO class actions and other lawsuits before the MDL Panel and in multidistrict litigation in Tampa, Florida.
Lead counsel representing a corporate borrower in Minnesota prosecuting a lender liability suit against G.E. Capital.
Lead counsel prosecuting antitrust claims of a private for profit hospital against health insurer in Michigan.
Lead counsel defending a U.S. government agency in a lender liability lawsuit in Minnesota.
Lead counsel defending antitrust claims asserted in Penne vs. Minneapolis Association of REALTORS®, securing a defense verdict following nine week trial.
Lead counsel representing the largest unsecured creditor in the Flight Transportation Corporation securities litigation in Minnesota.
Prosecution of securities claims of several large mutual funds in the Central Bank case in Colorado and the Nakornthai Steel Mill case in Minnesota.
Lead counsel representing small dealers and distributors in wrongful termination antitrust lawsuits tried in Maine, California, Idaho, Montana, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Duke University School of Law, J.D. (1968); Student Editorial Assistant for Law and Contemporary Problems
- University of Iowa, B.A., Political Science and Psychology, Phi Beta Kappa
- Duke University School of Law, Board of Visitors (2004 - Present)
- Has been a frequent lecturer and chaired Continuing Legal Education programs on various subjects related to complex business litigation.
If you are interested in having us represent you, you should call us so we can determine whether the matter is one for which we are willing or able to accept professional responsibility. We will not make this determination by e-mail communication. The telephone numbers and addresses for our offices are listed on this page. We reserve the right to decline any representation. We may be required to decline representation if it would create a conflict of interest with our other clients.
By accepting these terms, you are confirming that you have read and understood this important notice.