- Acumen Powered by Robins Kaplan LLP®
- Affirmative Recovery
- American Indian Law and Policy
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Appellate Advocacy and Guidance
- Business Litigation
- Civil Rights and Police Misconduct
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial/Project Finance and Real Estate
- Corporate Governance and Special Situations
- Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy
- Domestic and International Arbitration
- Health Care Litigation
- Insurance and Catastrophic Loss
- Intellectual Property and Technology Litigation
- Mass Tort Attorneys
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys
- Personal Injury Attorneys
- Telecommunications Litigation and Arbitration
- Wealth Planning, Administration, and Fiduciary Disputes
Acumen Powered by Robins Kaplan LLP®
Ediscovery, Applied Science and Economics, and Litigation Support Solutions
June 7, 2023Partner Tim Billion Honored With 2023 Appellate Advocacy Award
June 6, 2023Super Lawyers Names Five Attorneys to “Southern California Rising Stars” List
June 1, 2023Chambers USA Recognizes Five Robins Kaplan Practice Groups and 17 Lawyers in 2023 Guide
June 13, 20232023 Probate and Trust Law Section Conference
June 14, 2023Leading Through Uncertainty
June 15, 2023Enhance Your Super Powers by Clerking
May 2023Raoul Shah: Keeping Humanity and Compassion Close
May 18, 2023NFT Trademark Defense Comes Down To Licensing Terms
April 20, 2023Drafting Subsequent Agreements to Avoid Arbitrability Litigation
September 16, 2022Uber Company Systems Compromised by Widespread Cyber Hack
September 15, 2022US Averts Rail Workers Strike With Last-Minute Tentative Deal
September 14, 2022Hotter-Than-Expected August Inflation Prompts Massive Wall Street Selloff
Find additional firm contact information for press inquiries.
Find resources to help navigate legal and business complexities.
Samuel J. LaRoque, Ph.D.
Sam concentrates his practice in intellectual property counseling and litigation, with an emphasis on patent matters. Sam’s experience spans a wide range of technologies, including wireless communications, medical devices, computer hardware and software, internet technologies, and X-ray imaging in both medical and security spaces.
Sam’s recent courtroom experience includes arguing Markman hearings in the Western District of Texas and a dispositive motion in the District of Massachusetts. Sam excels at managing cases, having led teams and directly advised clients in infringement and invalidity analyses as well as claim construction strategy. In addition to his district court practice, Sam has recently begun assisting clients in inter partes reviews before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Sam also maintains an active pro bono practice. He has assisted the Missouri State Public Defender in multiple criminal defense proceedings, and he secured protected status for a family seeking asylum in the U.S. through the Kansas City Immigration Court after fleeing gang violence in Guatemala.
Prior to law school, Sam worked at Robins Kaplan as a registered patent agent and senior scientist, where he performed patent portfolio assessments and helped prepare technical experts and inventors for statements and depositions. Sam holds Ph.D. and master’s degrees in astrophysics from the University of Chicago, where he also spent two years as a postdoctoral research fellow in radiology developing mathematical algorithms for image reconstruction in CT and MRI.
- C.C. Stewart Award - First Overall in Law School Class
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement
- Rice Scholar
- National Moot Court Competition; Winner, Regional Competition; Best (Regional) Petitioner Brief
- CALI Awards (Alternative Dispute Resolution; Civil Procedure; Criminal Law; Criminal Procedure; Lawyering Skills II; Patent Law)
- Minneapolis Commodores Barbershop Chorus, Board Member (2012-2014)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- University of Kansas School of Law, Order of the Coif (2018); University of Kansas Law Review, Staff Member (2016-2017), Articles Editor (2017-2018)
- University of Chicago, M.S. and Ph.D. in Astronomy & Astrophysics (2005)
- Cornell University, Bachelor of Arts in Physics, cum laude (1998)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Thoughts on Continuing Impacts of the AIA from a Patent Analyst Turned 'New Lawyer.'
AIPLA Committee on the Profession Speaker Showcase (May 4, 2023)
If you are interested in having us represent you, you should call us so we can determine whether the matter is one for which we are willing or able to accept professional responsibility. We will not make this determination by e-mail communication. The telephone numbers and addresses for our offices are listed on this page. We reserve the right to decline any representation. We may be required to decline representation if it would create a conflict of interest with our other clients.
By accepting these terms, you are confirming that you have read and understood this important notice.