- Acumen Powered by Robins Kaplan LLP®
- Affirmative Recovery
- American Indian Law and Policy
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Appellate Advocacy and Guidance
- Business Litigation
- Civil Rights and Police Misconduct
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial/Project Finance and Real Estate
- Corporate Governance and Special Situations
- Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy
- Domestic and International Arbitration
- Health Care Litigation
- Insurance and Catastrophic Loss
- Intellectual Property and Technology Litigation
- Mass Tort Attorneys
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys
- Personal Injury Attorneys
- Telecommunications Litigation and Arbitration
- Wealth Planning, Administration, and Fiduciary Disputes
Acumen Powered by Robins Kaplan LLP®
Ediscovery, Applied Science and Economics, and Litigation Support Solutions
March 30, 2023Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison and Robins Kaplan Partner Tara Sutton Give Opening Statements in Minnesota’s Lawsuit Against JUUL
March 28, 2023Robins Kaplan LLP Announces 2023 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellow and Pathfinder
March 22, 2023Benchmark Litigation Names Robins Kaplan 2023 Minnesota Law Firm of the Year
April 3, 2023Conference of Tribal Lending Commissioners
April 11-13, 2023Mass Torts Made Perfect Seminar
April 19, 2023FBA Women in MDL, Mass and Class Leadership
March 2023Unintended Consequences of Banning Noncompete Agreements
March 26, 2023What I’ll Be Watching for in the Amgen Oral Arguments
March 2023How an Investor Can Lose More Than Just Their Investment
September 16, 2022Uber Company Systems Compromised by Widespread Cyber Hack
September 15, 2022US Averts Rail Workers Strike With Last-Minute Tentative Deal
September 14, 2022Hotter-Than-Expected August Inflation Prompts Massive Wall Street Selloff
Find additional firm contact information for press inquiries.
Find resources to help navigate legal and business complexities.
Shelley R. Gilliss, Ph.D.
Chief Talent Officer and Chief Administrative Officer
Dr. Gilliss leads diverse, cross-disciplinary teams that complement Robins Kaplan’s litigation services. Her teams are experts in ediscovery, business intelligence, and include specialized consultants who provide expertise in science and technology, as well as finance, accounting and economics.
Dr. Gilliss holds a Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, and a Bachelor of Chemical Engineering with a minor in Chemistry. She possesses hands-on experience in semiconductor processing and its associated characterization techniques. Dr. Gilliss’s research experience includes thin-film deposition techniques, in particular pulsed-laser deposition. During graduate school, her research required extensive nano-scale characterization, resulting in Dr. Gilliss's proficiency in: transmission-electron microscopy; electron-energy loss spectroscopy; scanning-electron microscopy; energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy; and atomic-force microscopy to name a few.
During her time at Seagate, Dr. Gilliss characterized the magnetostrictive properties of thin films and used focused-ion beam techniques in combination with transmission-electron microscopy to characterize a variety of hard-drive components.
Dr. Gilliss’s Ph.D. thesis focused on glass/ceramic surfaces and interfaces. Her analysis of the valence state of the Cerium-oxide surface contributed to the fundamental understanding of the chemical-mechanical polishing mechanism.
- Session Chair, XVIth International Symposium on the Reactivity of Solids (June 2007)
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Participant in the ShaRe Program—a government funded collaborative research program (2002-2004)
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, visiting user of the National Center for Electron Microscopy (2002-2004)
- 3M, Abrasives Division Intern (Summer 2000 and 2001)
- Seagate Technology, Intern (Summer 1999)
- U.S. Senator Kent Conrad, Intern (1994)
- Named to the “Minnesota 500 List,” Greenspring (2020)
- Microscopy Society of America Presidential Student Award (2003)
- U.S. Delegate to Meeting of Nobel Laureates in Lindau, (Germany) (2002)
- Roland B. Snow Award, American Ceramic Society (2002)
- National Science Foundation Dissertation Enhancement Award for International Travel (2002)
- Arizona State University Scholarship for ASU High-Resolution Electron Microscopy Winter School (2002)
- Gordon Research Conference Scholarship presented by Dupont (2001)
- MicroBeam Analysis Society Distinguished Scholar Award (2001)
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science (2000)
- Gordon Research Conference Scholarship presented by the National Science Foundation (2000)
- MentorNet, Mentor
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- University of Minnesota, Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering (2004)
- University of Oxford, Visiting Academic, Department of Materials Science (2002-2004)
- University of Minnesota, B.Ch.E (1999)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association
- Attorney at Law Magazine, "Robins Kaplan: Placing Tech at the Forefront of Law," (September 3, 2021)
- Three Strategic Pillars of Patent Search: A Roundtable Discussion
Panelist, Relativity Fest (October 4, 2021)
- Non-Traditional Careers
CEMS Virtual Alumni Panel (March 24, 2021)
- A Patent Primer for Engineers Lessons through the Lens of Litigation
Digital Technology Center Seminar, University of Minnesota (April 8, 2019)
If you are interested in having us represent you, you should call us so we can determine whether the matter is one for which we are willing or able to accept professional responsibility. We will not make this determination by e-mail communication. The telephone numbers and addresses for our offices are listed on this page. We reserve the right to decline any representation. We may be required to decline representation if it would create a conflict of interest with our other clients.
By accepting these terms, you are confirming that you have read and understood this important notice.