- Acumen Powered by Robins Kaplan LLP®
- Affirmative Recovery
- American Indian Law and Policy
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Appellate Advocacy and Guidance
- Business Litigation
- Civil Rights and Police Misconduct
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial/Project Finance and Real Estate
- Corporate Governance and Special Situations
- Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy
- Domestic and International Arbitration
- Health Care Litigation
- Insurance and Catastrophic Loss
- Intellectual Property and Technology Litigation
- Mass Tort Attorneys
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys
- Personal Injury Attorneys
- Telecommunications Litigation and Arbitration
- Wealth Planning, Administration, and Fiduciary Disputes
Acumen Powered by Robins Kaplan LLP®
Ediscovery, Applied Science and Economics, and Litigation Support Solutions
June 6, 2023Super Lawyers Names Five Attorneys to “Southern California Rising Stars” List
June 1, 2023Chambers USA Recognizes Five Robins Kaplan Practice Groups and 17 Lawyers in 2023 Guide
May 2023Robins Kaplan LLP Celebrates 85 Years
June 9, 2023LGBTQ Legal Services: Transgender Name Change Clinic
June 13, 20232023 Probate and Trust Law Section Conference
June 14, 2023Leading Through Uncertainty
May 2023Raoul Shah: Keeping Humanity and Compassion Close
May 18, 2023NFT Trademark Defense Comes Down To Licensing Terms
April 20, 2023Drafting Subsequent Agreements to Avoid Arbitrability Litigation
September 16, 2022Uber Company Systems Compromised by Widespread Cyber Hack
September 15, 2022US Averts Rail Workers Strike With Last-Minute Tentative Deal
September 14, 2022Hotter-Than-Expected August Inflation Prompts Massive Wall Street Selloff
Find additional firm contact information for press inquiries.
Find resources to help navigate legal and business complexities.
Derrick J. Carman
Derrick Carman helps large and small clients assert their intellectual property rights and defend against allegations of intellectual property infringement. He focuses on patent litigation, representing clients in Federal Courts, the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and the International Trade Commission. Mr. Carman helps clients manage the complicated strategic considerations involved in navigating the IP litigation landscape.
Mr. Carman also works with patent owners to develop patent portfolio monetization strategies, including licensing and litigation strategies. He has experience with a broad range of technologies, including battery technology, medical devices, projector systems, e-commerce platforms, luggage, computer graphics software, and computer memory systems.
Prior to becoming an IP litigator, Mr. Carman prepared and prosecuted patent applications in-house and in private practice. Mr. Carman’s background in patent prosecution combined with his experience in a variety of litigation forums provides a unique insight into the operations of IP law.
U.S. Court of Appeals
- Represented former employee of the Department of the Interior in appeal from the Merit Systems Protection Board following her termination. The Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit vacated and remanded finding that the MSPB failed to conduct the requisite analysis as to the reasonableness of the termination under the Douglas factors. Moreno v. Dep’t of the Interior, Appeal No. 2020-1507 (Fed. Cir. 2021).
U.S. District Court
- Represented biological sciences R&D company in defense of claims for patent infringement. Case settled on favorable terms prior to trial. Kyowa Hakko Kirin Co., Ltd. v. Aragen Bioscience, Inc., NDCA-3-16-cv-05993.
- Represented emergency response software in defense of claims for patent infringement. Case was voluntarily dismissed following filing of a motion to dismiss. 911 Notify, LLC v. MobileTREC Corporation, DDE-1-15-cv-00582 (prior to joining Robins Kaplan).
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Represented Patent Owner in response to ten petitions for inter partes review of patents related to peripheral bus design. The Patent Trial and Appeal Board denied all ten petitions. IPR2021-00604; IPR2021-00605; IPR2021-00606; IPR2021-00607; IPR2021-00608; IPR2021-00666; IPR2021-00667; IPR2021-00668; IPR2021-00669; IPR2021-00670.
- Represented Patent Owner in response to four petitions for inter partes review of patents related to cellular communications. The Patent Trial and Appeal Board denied institution of all four petitions. IPR2018-01474; IPR2018-01478; IPR2018-01556; IPR2018-01557
U.S. International Trade Commission
- Trial Counsel for owner of cellular communications patent portfolio including an 8-day patent infringement trial before the International Trade Commission. Certain 3G- and LTE-compliant Cellular Communication Devices and Components Thereof, Inv. No. 337-TA-1138.
- Represented subpoenaed third party in multiple International Trade Commission Investigation concerning lithium-ion battery separators. Certain Batteries and Electrochemical Devices Containing Composite Separators, Components Thereof and Products Containing Same, Inv. No. 337-TA-1087; Certain Lithium-Ion Battery Cells, Battery Modules, Battery Packs, Components Thereof, and Products Containing the Same, Inv. No. 337-TA-1181.
- Represented subpoenaed third party in International Trade Commission Investigation concerning smart thermostats and HVAC systems. Certain Smart Thermostats, Smart HVAC Systems, and Components Thereof, Inv. No. 337-TA-1185.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch (2021-2023 editions)
- New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D. (2013), cum laude, Justinian Honorary Society; Syracuse Law Review, Computer Editor (2012-2013)
- Denison University, B.S. in Physics (2010)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- New York State Bar Association
If you are interested in having us represent you, you should call us so we can determine whether the matter is one for which we are willing or able to accept professional responsibility. We will not make this determination by e-mail communication. The telephone numbers and addresses for our offices are listed on this page. We reserve the right to decline any representation. We may be required to decline representation if it would create a conflict of interest with our other clients.
By accepting these terms, you are confirming that you have read and understood this important notice.