Seth is a lawyer and entrepreneur who leverages his background in business, technology, and the law to solve his clients’ most complicated problems. Prior to attending law school, Seth worked as a systems and software engineer for numerous semiconductor and software companies—including the successful company he co-founded and exited. In doing so, he worked side-by-side with electrical, mechanical, software, and systems engineers along with Silicon Valley business-leaders to bring cutting-edge projects to market. He understands the intersection between business and technology because he lived it.
Now, as an attorney, Seth has focused his practice on providing strategic advice to large and small companies along with handling large-scale disputes involving a variety of technologies. As a writer, speaker, and counselor, Seth has helped companies maximize the value of investments in technology.
Seth also has dedicated a significant amount of his practice to environmental advocacy and the prevention of family and domestic violence.
Strategic Early and Growth-Stage Company Counseling
Seth works closely with both investors and early and growth-stage companies to develop mature compliance and intellectual property strategies designed to maximize company value and minimize investment risk.
Intellectual Property and Media Litigation
- Experience managing intellectual property due diligence processes to identify gaps and opportunities in corporate technology and IP portfolios.
- Developed and executed corporate formation and structuring strategy.
- Assessment of intellectual property portfolios for potential monetization, acquisition, and supplementation opportunities.
- Devised and executed non-litigation intellectual property monetization efforts.
- Developed and deployed employment, IP, privacy, security, and compliance protocols focused on protecting value in innovation.
- Experience working to identify and negotiate key licensing opportunities.
- Drafted and negotiated key technology contracts including software and patent license agreements, asset purchase agreements, service agreements, employment agreements, privacy policies, non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements, and distributorship and commercial representation agreements.
Leveraging nearly twenty years of working with technology companies as a business leader, engineer, and eventually an attorney, Seth helps businesses handle all phases of high-stakes intellectual property and media litigation including patent, trade secret, trademark, trade dress and copyright disputes.
Technology and Business Process Outsourcing Litigation
- Experience with complex patent litigation disputes involving various technologies including software and hardware design, analytics, networking, medical devices, database, and E-commerce systems.
- Represented decision-management enterprise in patent infringement action related to credit and debit fraud detection technologies resulting in a favorable settlement before trial.
- Represented patent holder in complex patent infringement actions related to digital camera technology resulting in more than $100 million in verdicts and pre-trial settlements.
- Successfully defended patent holder in an ownership dispute involving claims for breach of employment agreements, conversion, unfair competition and unjust enrichment.
- Represented internet technology company in patent infringement actions involving personalization of web-based systems.
- Successfully defended the National Association of the Academies of Science and American Junior Academy of Science against claims of copyright and trademark infringement.
- Represented major medical device company in patent litigation involving thermoregulation devices resulting in a favorable settlement before trial.
As a former systems engineer and information technology manager, Seth understands the complexity surrounding large-scale technology and business process outsourcing relationships. Seth utilizes that experience to counsel both providers and sourcing customers on effective contract design along with assisting both when disputes result in litigation.
- Represented company in large-scale Information Technology (IT), Business Process, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), and Finance and Accounting (F&A) outsourcing dispute.
- Represented major retailer in dispute relating to a failed software outsourcing contract resulting in a favorable settlement before trial.
- Working knowledge of various Information Technology (IT) technologies including: BSD, Linux, Solaris®, and WinTel server administration; Wide Area Network (WAN) and Local Area Network (LAN) design, topology, security, and administration; database, web, and mail server administration; Storage Area Network (SAN) and Network Attached Storage (NAS) deployment; and desktop management and security.
Seth began his career as a software engineer and continues to design and implement software products today. This experience helps him understand and tackle the unique challenges of litigation surrounding software.
Privacy and Cybersecurity Litigation
- Represented employee-inventors in misappropriation of trade secrets claim related to various software-based technologies.
- Represented numerous patent owners asserting software patents.
- Extensive experience conducting source code discovery and working with source code experts.
- Represented client against claims of copyright infringement related to software.
- Working knowledge of various programming and software development environments including: PHP, MySQL®, C++, and Objective C.
Before becoming a lawyer, Seth was responsible for securing and managing large-scale enterprise Unix and Windows-based networks. This experience assists him in consulting organizations as they devise sophisticated IT data governance solutions designed to minimize organization risk. When a data breach does occur, Seth’s technical and legal experience helps impacted organizations rapidly manage the chaos of a breach response.
Environmental Advocacy and Family and Domestic Violence Prevention
- Represented company in large-scale IT outsourcing litigation involving failures in data security compliance
- Consulted with large-scale enterprise on data management and IT security governance
- Author and speaker on numerous areas of IT security management including data privacy, compliance, cloud services, security audits, and third-party agreements
Seth dedicates a significant amount of his practice supporting environmental causes and representing victims of family and domestic violence in judicial proceedings on a pro bono basis.
- Experience representing victims of domestic and family violence at the administrative, district court, and appellate level in asylum proceedings, order for protection actions and proceedings pursuant to the Hague Convention on Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
- Experience representing parents attempting to prevent the international abduction of children from the United States.
- Trained domestic violence crisis counselor.
- Prior to joining Robins Kaplan LLP, worked for the U.S. Department of Justice as a Law Clerk for the Environment and Natural Resources Division, Environmental Enforcement Section and as a Law Clerk for Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility.
Undeterred by the threats of Y2K, Seth married his high school sweetheart and former competitive debate opponent on December 31, 1999. They now have two young girls together. When not assisting his daughters developing elaborate worlds in Minecraft and Disney Infinity, Seth enjoys keeping up with the latest technology, running, and devising the next big entrepreneurial idea.