For more than three decades I have partnered with clients to resolve huge, complex business disputes, through trials or settlement, as their trial lawyer, strategist, negotiator, and counselor. Although the disputes have varied greatly in facts and applicable law, all had a common attribute – a compelling narrative defining the parties’ motivations.
The mission of strategically stripping down a case to individual human qualities and frailties is paramount -- it defines for the factfinder who should prevail. This quest has defined my career and our client’s victories through resolution and trial. With this background I am now Of Counsel to our firm. It’s my hope to employ, by various means, my history of strategy, litigation, and trials to best serve our clients.
My experience is broad. My cases have involved:
- Patent disputes covering a myriad of technologies from prosecution and defense perspectives. This includes, by way of example, emissions reducing gasoline formulations adopted by California regulators, polymer formulations, interactive internet features, and virus detection and prevention
- Antitrust disputes from price-fixing allegations to claims of monopolistic behavior in standard-setting organizations
- Multibillion dollar awards involving contract/supply/service termination issues
- Copyright, trademark/tradename and Lanham Act False Advertising Claims (from prosecution and defense perspectives)
- Prosecution and Defense of Trust and Estate Cases
- Substantial and Confidential Resolution of Mortgage-Backed Securities Claims
- Trials and Settlements involving Regulatory Approval for Health Organization Reserves; and Disbursements
- Recovery for Payors involving claims of health care fraud
My representation of major corporations (in disputes I have handled) includes, by way of example:
- Best Buy Co., Inc.,
- Delta Dental of Minnesota,
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota,
- Federal Home Loan Bank of Pittsburgh
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- General Electric Company
- Fair Isaac Corporation
- CML Group, Inc.
- ExxonMobil Chemical Company
The opposing parties (in disputes I have handled) include, for example,
- Bank of America
- Countrywide Financial
- Atlantic Richfield
- Simon Property Group
- Texas A&M University
- Talbert Fuel Systems
- US Olympic Committee
As a long-term partner at the Firm from 1991-2015, I served four elected terms on its Executive Board and over a decade as the Ethics Partner. I am a member of the state bars of Minnesota and New York. I am admitted to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth, Ninth and Federal Circuit as well as the United States Supreme Court.
I received my J.D. from the University of Minnesota Law School in 1985, having graduated from St. Cloud State University with a B.S. in English. I taught junior-high English and Speech Communications at a large school district in Minnesota prior to attending law school.