Selected Patent Infringement Experience
Mr. Lukoff has litigated cases in a wide variety of technologies, including medical devices and surgical techniques, chemical processes, laboratory instrumentation, pharmaceuticals, computer systems and software, consumer products, and mechanical devices, among others. His broad technical background, built on an education in chemical engineering and experience as a process and product development engineer, allows him to understand technology early in the case.
Mr. Lukoff has experience navigating complex issues that commonly arise in high-technology cases, and particularly cases involving software, such as negotiations over protective orders, source code reviews, and work with experts. Representative cases include:
- Litigation counsel for a software and services company in a patent infringement lawsuit. Mr. Lukoff negotiated several complex discovery issues, including third-party discovery of source code and negotiation of a special protective order. The case settled favorably for our client after claim construction. (Prior to joining Robins Kaplan LLP.)
- Litigation counsel for a payment provider in a patent infringement case that involved a source code review. Settled the case on favorable terms for client prior to claim construction. (Prior to joining Robins Kaplan LLP.)
- Litigation counsel for a medical device manufacturer asserting a surgical method patent against a startup competitor. Our client obtained a trial victory and permanent injunction. (Prior to joining Robins Kaplan LLP.)
- Litigation counsel for an international chemical company in a case involving a chemical process patent.
- Litigation counsel for an international seed company who became involved in a patent infringement case as a third-party. We successfully limited the subpoena and obtained a stay in the underlying case for our client. (Prior to joining Robins Kaplan LLP.)
Selected IP Licensing Experience
Mr. Lukoff has experience analyzing and litigating patent, copyright, and trade secret licenses and advising clients on how to structure licenses prior to litigation and how to utilize licenses during litigation to achieve strategic aims. Representative matters include:
- Trial counsel for Megdal Associates in an IP licensing dispute between Megdal Associates and La-Z-Boy Incorporated. After a four-week trial, a jury in Fort Lauderdale, Florida awarded our client $5.7 million plus ongoing royalties.
- Advised an international seed company regarding how to structure its corporation and hold its IP assets prior to litigation. (Prior to joining Robins Kaplan LLP.)
Selected Trade Secrets Experience
Mr. Lukoff has specific experience litigating trade secret matters involving technology. Representative cases include:
- Litigation counsel for a manufacturer of consumer goods in a misappropriation of trade secret case against its former contract manufacturer. The case settled favorably for our client after defeating the defendant’s summary judgment motion. (Prior to joining Robins Kaplan LLP.)
- Performed an audit of the trade secret protection program of a large, international pharmaceutical company. Identified the company’s trade secrets relating to several products and advised the company on how to strengthen its trade secret protection program.
Selected Privacy and Cybersecurity Experience
Mr. Lukoff has advised clients on company policies and responses to cybersecurity breaches, including the impact of state cybersecurity breach statutes, FTC privacy actions, COPPA, and the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
- Advised a company on response to a cybersecurity attack that involved overlapping issues of state and federal law, and civil and criminal aspects.
- Analyzed existing company privacy policies and recommended additions and changes to existing policies based on relevant state and federal privacy statutes and administrative actions.